• The Bermuda Historical Society Museum
has an interesting collection of Bermuda cedar
furniture, china and glassware, and a fascinating
collection of silver crafted in Bermuda.
• Victoria Park’s elegant bandstand was
erected to commemorate Queen Victoria’s
• City Hall is home to the Bermuda National
Gallery and Bermuda Society of Arts.
• Bermuda’s House of Assembly is one of the
oldest parliaments in the world.
The Sea Express Blue Route service leaves
Hamilton every hour. Buses from and to Hamilton:
Numbers 7 and 8
Named after Lord William Herbert, 3rd Earl of Pembroke,
another early investor in the Virginia and Bermuda
Companies, Pembroke Parish is best known these
days for the City of Hamilton, which replaced St.
George’s as Bermuda’s capital in 1815, and for the
Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity, rebuilt in 1884.
The cathedral’s 143-foot tower has long been a
much-loved landmark on the city’s skyline.
The city was named after Governor
Henry Hamilton because he had
enthusiastically supported the
cause for a new port and town
when he took up his post in 1785.
In 1819 the Sessions House was erected,
with its distinctive terracotta-edged clock
tower and arches being added in 1887 to
honour Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee.
Upstairs the building contains Bermuda’s House of Assembly,
while downstairs is the Supreme Court. The Cabinet
Building on Front Street, overlooking Hamilton Harbour,
was completed in 1841. Originally known as the Public
Building and in 1938 as the Colonial Secretariat, it now
houses the Premier’s office and the Senate’s meeting
place. In the grounds stands a statue of Sally Basset,
a slave who was burned at the stake in 1730, and a
cenotaph commemorating Bermudian soldiers killed
in the First and Second World Wars.
The Bermuda National Library on Queen Street was once the home
of William Perot, Hamilton’s postmaster and the man who created
Bermuda’s first postage stamp. Par-La-Ville Park, or as it has
been renamed, Queen Elizabeth Park, was his backyard where
he spent many hours indulging his passion—gardening. Later he
moved the post office to an annex, now the Perot Post Office.
While Hamilton is definitely Bermuda’s centre for business, work and
social life, it would be a shame to ignore other parts of the parish.
Spanish Point, pointing a finger towards the Royal Naval Dockyard,
is home to both Spanish Point Park and to Admiralty House Park,
where two little coves at the base of the hillside are particularly
beautiful and perfect places for family outings and picnics.
WILLIAM HERBER T
CATHEDRAL OF THE
MOST HOLY TRINITY