• The Paget sections of Harbour Road and
Salt Kettle Road are excellent vantage points
for gazing at Bermuda’s beautiful sunsets
and for watching the island’s ferries zigzagging
their way across the harbour.
• The Railway Trail beginning at Trimingham
Hill and offering ocean views passes through
thickets of Bermuda’s aromatic allspice trees
Buses from Hamilton: Number 2 to Ord Road via
Botanical Gardens and Elbow Beach; Number 7
to Barnes Corner/Dockyard via the South Shore
beaches; Number 8 to Barnes Corner/ Dockyard
via Middle Road.
BAY GRAPE LEAF
is home to
fern, the Giant
can grow to 8
feet in height.
One of our more central parishes, Paget was named in
1617 after Elizabethan patron, English peer and colonist,
William Paget (1572-1629). Situated on the main
island and tucked between the South Shore on
one side and Hamilton Harbour on the other, it
enjoys contrasts of scenery. Creamy sands stretching
from the Coco Reef resort to Coral Beach,
incorporating the public and private sections of
Elbow Beach, complement the brilliant blues of
the ocean on sunny days. It was here the crew
members of the British SS Pollockshields were
dramatically rescued by Bermudian whaler Antonio
Marshall after being shipwrecked in a hurricane.
On the harbour side, the quaint
peninsular of Salt Kettle recalls the days
when Bermudians would boil vats of sea
water to create salt, so essential to diet and to food
preservation. Today, picturesque cottages and guesthouses
overlook the Harbour and the Inlet, their pastel walls, tumbling
vines and hanging baskets offering splashes of colour.
At the foot of the harbour is Waterville, headquarters of the Bermuda National
Trust. With its traditional white stepped roof, chimney and trellised porch, Waterville
provides a taste of 18th-century elegance. Outside, the Bermuda Rose Society’s
repository garden introduces visitors to the magic of Bermuda mystery roses,
while a nearby islet features mangroves.
Off Lovers Lane is Paget Marsh, a nature reserve, a 25-acre reminder
of Bermuda’s natural past. Red mangroves dominate here, and in
places their woody seedlings dangle over the boardwalk, creating
bowers. Eventually, the seedlings will drop into the mud and sprout
new additions to the tiers of prop roots already anchoring the trees.
A riot of ferns—sword fern, cinnamon fern and southern bracken—
tumbles over the fence, while wax myrtle, cedars and palmetto are all
part of the jungle.
Paget’s most popular attraction has to be the Bermuda Botanical Gardens,
which first opened in 1898 as The Public Gardens. Now, it is home to
the elegant Camden House, the official residence of Bermuda’s premiers.
The Botanical Gardens is the perfect place to enjoy Bermuda’s diversity of
trees, plants and flowers, ranging from the endemic and native to the exotic.
SALT KE TTLE, BERMUDA, 1899
BY WINSLOW HOMER