• Sherwin Nature Reserve is home to
Warwick Pond. A Bermuda National Trust
nature reserve, accidental tourists, such as
pelicans, often arrive here.
• Warwick Long Bay appropriately named, is
especially good for lengthy walks along the
• Riddells Bay Golf and Country Club
is Bermuda’s oldest existing golf course.
• Newstead Belmont Hills golf course
was redesigned in 2002.
Buses from and to Hamilton: Number 7 to Barnes
Corner/Dockyard via the south shore beaches; Number
8 to Barnes Corner/ Dockyard via Middle Road.
The Right Honorable Sir Robert Rich, Second Earl of
Warwick, invested heavily in the Virginia and Bermuda
Companies but never came to the island. His younger
cousin, also named Robert Rich, did however. As
one of the original settlers, he acted as an agent
or his uncle and for his own older brother, Sir
Nathaniel Rich, also an investor. While in Bermuda,
Robert came into conflict with Governor Daniel
Tucker who tried to exterminate rats by burning
land. Thus the names Burnt Hill and Burnt House
Hill at the Warwick end of Harbour Road. Sir Robert
Rich was one of the first investors to own slaves.
By the Warwick Post Office, under the rubber tree,
is a plaque commemorating a slaves’ burial ground
hidden under the tarmac.
Warwick has a few interesting
“firsts.” Christ Church, Warwick, is the
oldest Presbyterian church in Bermuda, since it was
first built in 1719 and the walls of the original meeting
house still stand. It contains a plaque commemorating
George Whitefield, who preached there on “eight
consecutive Sabbaths” while in Bermuda in 1748,
as well as a christening basin and a large salver
made by Bermudian silversmith George Hutchings
during the eighteenth century. Cobbs Hill Methodist Church, situated on Cobbs Hill
Road and the oldest existing Methodist church in Bermuda, was built by slaves in
the moonlight from 1825 to 1827. They bought land from a sympathetic
Methodist lawyer, James Esten. Often forbidden to attend church,
the slaves were inspired to build their own by Edward Fraser, a
preacher slave brought to Bermuda in 1818. Later he was freed
and was ordained by the Methodist Society in London.
Warwick’s south shore coastline is known for its stunning chain
of beaches and coves with stretches of pink, creamy sands. Rarely
crowded, even in summer, the bays and coves here have distinct
characteristics. Jobson’s Cove and Stonehole Bay, both framed by
limestone rock formations, are safe for inexperienced swimmers,
while Astwood Cove, a favourite wedding setting, offers magnificent
clifftop views and is perfect for longtail watching.
THE ANTIGUAN ANOLE
is native to Antigua
and Barbuda but
is known here as
the Warwick Lizard
since this was the
parish where it was
first found after is
on the island in
SIR ROBERT RICH