• Sherwin Nature Reserve is home to
Warwick Pond. A Bermuda National Trust
nature reserve, accidental tourists, such as
pelicans, often arrive here.
• Warwick Long Bay appropriately named, is
especially good for lengthy walks along the
• Riddells Bay Golf and Country Club
is Bermuda’s oldest existing golf course.
• Newstead Belmont Hills golf course
was redesigned in 2002.
Buses from and to Hamilton: Number 7 to Barnes
Corner/Dockyard via the south shore beaches; Number
8 to Barnes Corner/ Dockyard via Middle Road.
The Right Honorable Sir Robert Rich, Second Earl of Warwick,
While in Bermuda, Robert came into conflict with
invested heavily in the Virginia and Bermuda Companies
but never came to the island. His younger cousin, also
named Robert Rich, did however. As one of the original
settlers, he acted as an agent for his uncle and for his
own older brother, Sir Nathaniel Rich, also an investor.
Governor Daniel Tucker who tried to exterminate rats
by burning land. Thus the names Burnt Hill and Burnt
House Hill at the Warwick end of Harbour Road.
Sir Robert Rich was one of the first investors to own
Warwick’s south shore coastline is known for its stunning chain
slaves. By the Warwick Post Office, under the rubber tree,
Warwick has a few interesting “firsts.” Christ Church, Warwick,
is the oldest Presbyterian church in Bermuda, since it
was first built in 1719 and the walls of the original meeting
house still stand. It contains a plaque commemorating
George Whitefield, who preached there on “eight
consecutive Sabbaths” while in Bermuda in 1748, as
well as a christening basin and a large salver made by
Bermudian silversmith George Hutchings during the
eighteenth century. Cobbs Hill Methodist Church, situated
on Cobbs Hill Road and the oldest existing Methodist
church in Bermuda, was built by slaves in the moonlight
from 1825 to 1827. They bought land from a sympathetic
Methodist lawyer, James Esten. Often forbidden to attend church, the
slaves were inspired to build their own by Edward Fraser, a preacher
slave brought to Bermuda in 1818. Later he was freed and was
ordained by the Methodist Society in London.
of beaches and coves with stretches of pink, creamy sands.
Rarely crowded, even in summer, the bays and coves here have
distinct characteristics. Jobson’s Cove and Stonehole Bay, both
framed by limestone rock formations, are safe for inexperienced
swimmers, while Astwood Cove, a favourite wedding setting, offers
magnificent clifftop views and is perfect for longtail watching.
THE ANTIGUAN ANOLE
is native to Antigua
and Barbuda but
is known here as
the Warwick Lizard
since this was the
parish where it was
first found after it
on the island in
SIR ROBER T RICH